Sunday, February 17, 2013

Wash Day This Week 2/16 - Update on Heat Damage & New DC recipe

Well, I decided not to get too fancy this week for wash day after last week's diaster.  And I actually ended up doing our hair Saturday.  I was so tired Friday.  On Friday night I took Pooh's yarn twist down, finally after 5 weeks and 4 days.  I length retention was amazing EXCEPT for on her damaged ends. 

For wash day, I did our usual routine.  Click below to read full details:
http://werockinksncoils.blogspot.com/2013/01/our-regimen-ending-2012.html

I used the black soap to wash, conditioned with Tressemme Naturals, and DC'd with the Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Mask.  After completing her completing her DC, I sealed as usual and used the SM Smoothie as well Curl Souffle.  I didn't really style it because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.  Plus there were a few spots with residue that I didn't get quite good. I analyzed her fro as well and made the decision to just go ahead and cut off the heat damaged hair. 

Next week will officially be one year since my decision to go natural and reduce the heat on Pooh's hair.  Because cutting her hair at the time wasn't an option, I thought I would give it a year to transition out.  I wanted it to grow some more but I also wanted to learn how to take care of her hair without damaged ends.   As the year has passed, I have seen her curls thrive but the heat damaged areas have gotten thinner and thinner and I have noticed absolutely no length retention.   So next week I have decided to go ahead and cut off every heat damaged end she has. 

This definitely starts a whole new journey for her.  I will also do a blog of her hair in review over this year. 

As for my hair, I followed the same routine as well except for my DC I mixed Tressemme Naturals with EVOO and Aloe Vera Juice.  I sat under the dryer for 15 minutes and did a cool rinse.  I let my hair cool for 15 minutes.  I took a mixture of Hello Hydrations Coconut Milk conditioner and diluted it with Aloe Vera Juice.  I placed this on top of my hair and then rinsed it off with cool water.  Now why in the heck did I do all of this?  WELLLLLLL.... I am subscribed to all of my favorites newsletters (CurlyNikki, BlackHairInformation, EasyNaturalHairCare, etc.) and this week's article from Curly Nikki had a list of suggestions for keeping hair moisturized, starting with wash day.  Since it was wash day...I figured, why not!? :)

The article suggested diluting the conditioner with water but I added aloe vera juice because I much prefer aloe vera juice or gel.  Although I had planned to do a blog on the wonderful benefits of aloe vera I haven't so instead I will be awesome and just provide these links:

Benefits - http://www.blackhairinformation.com/hair-growth/the-benefits-of-aloe-vera-juice-for-natural-hair-growth/

Recipes to try - http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/2012/07/8-amazing-homemade-aloe-vera-gel.html

I will be styling this weekend on Sunday night instead of Saturday.  I've had some other things going on so I had to kind of space time out.  Anyway...look forward to the length check blogs!  They are coming!

#werockinksncoils




No comments:

Post a Comment