Friday, April 26, 2013

What About KK?! :)

HELLO again!!!!!

Well I notice that  I rarely ever post about my KK's hair.  Her hair, as mentioned before, is different from mine in that her texture is slightly looser.  I consider her to be a 3c/4a curly, coily girl.  If you've read my other blogs, you'll know her "documented" wash day is on Thursday.  LOL I say documented because the more I get a hang of this thing, the more lazy I become! LOL I mean, our hair just doesn't need AS MUCH as I thought I guess. 

I also tend to skip two steps: the hot oil treatment and the deep conditioning.  This is because with her hair being in such a virgin state, it doesn't seem to require as much.  The thing about natural hair is really just "listening" to it. 

This week, I felt more and more as if some of her ends needed to be clipped.  I felt like no matter the "age" of the child, hair is still "hair" and it gets old, it breaks off, etc.  Especially with KK's hair because her styles are often styles that she wears out.  Even when I've put her hair in ponytails, by the time I pick her up from daycare - she has taken her OWN hair down.  She likes to shake her hair and feel it's volume.  I sought some advice from other natural hair moms but in the end, I ended up slightly clipping a few of her ends.  One thing I've learned from Pooh's hair is that IT WILL GROW BACK!  I want to make decisions in the best interest of my girls' hair and ya know....it's ok I think to clip and trim if needed.  Of course, SHE didn't like it.  Imagine that?!!! As I inspected her twists for "raggedy looking" ends and begin snipping...she said, "NOOOO! YOU CUT HAIR! YOU CUT HAIR!!!!!" LOL I had to reassure her that I was only cutting a little.  The funny thing - SHE'S JUST TWO!!! GEEZ!

LOL

Another thing I did this week was a protein treatment.  Again, I rarely do them with KK.  But "listening" to her hair, I decided that a nice hot oil treatment and deep conditioning was in order.  Again, mainly because of how she has been wearing her hair. 

I've changed up my hot oil treatment, now using a mixture of oil and water in an applicator bottle.  I developed this method from Alicia James if I'm not mistaken.  Who is Alicia James....oh just my  natural hair crush :D  She is AWESOME...check her out!  (http://easynaturalhair.com/)

I "washed" her hair with our "shampoo" (ACV, water, conditioner mix).

I conditioned with Tressemme "Moisture Rich" (which I will admit that I'm not a fan, but I'm kinda stuck with the bottle #shrug).  I also finger detangled at this point as well.



For a deep conditioner I used mayo, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted conditioner, and olive oil.  I left the mix on about 20 minutes ( long enough to bathe her, dress her, and brush her teeth).  Afterwards, I washed the mix out.  By the way, here's the Herbal Essences Totally Twisted conditioner.  I use it specifically for deep conditioners.  I caught it on sale and bought about 3 bottles of it.

Anyway....Just as I thought, her hair was GREATLY replenished with moisture.  It was clean, a rich black color (indicating strong moisturized hair, in my opinion), and manageable.  I added Tressemme Naturals conditioner for our leave in.  This, as you know, it my LOVE!!!  Nothing has yet to compare to TN! :)

To style, I use Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie and Olive Oil EcoStyler gel.  These are two styling staples for her hair, I haven't switched up yet.  The two work perfect with her texture.  For a style, I decided to do her a twist set since she likes shaking her hair so much.  She looked in the mirror and "gasped" and said, "Show Daddy hair!!!"  :)



One of the things that makes me super proud is that my children LOVE their hair at such an early age.  It's BEAUTIFUL!


No comments:

Post a Comment