Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Listening To Your Hair

First, let me say that I suppose my hair has been extremely mad at me and I'm disappointed that it took me all of 2-3 days to figure it out. I mean....it shouldn't have! Lol

Anyhow...I twisted my hair last Thursday. I needed some form of protective style but I've been too lazy to put in the yarn twists that the girls have. So I just put a set of twists up. Friday and Saturday, I didn't have a problem with my scalp itchiness. Then it hit me Sunday. First I was shocked because I haven't had this since the yarn twist. To ease the discomfort I simply spritzed some water/conditioner mix and kept kicking.

Yes. That was it. And my scalp became more and more irritated. I started spritzing with water, ACV, anti itch spray....NOTHING worked. Monday, same thing.
I was sleeping with my bonnet nightly but then my hair started sounding crunchy. I knew then my hair was BONE DRY. I wondered, HOW could it be dry!? So, I did another method: wet my hair, oiled it, and put a baggy over my hair for a few hours. And my hair STILL felt hard and crunchy with an irritated scalp as it dried.

Now I've been natural TOOOOOO LONG to not know what the culprits were. It finally hit me.
1) I was not sealing in the moisture with my usual LOC method.
2) I have high porosity (my cuticles don't close and moisture escapes quicker) which means I NEED TO seal in moisture and layer sealings.
3) I'm out of Shea Butter Mix :-/ I used this an excuse to not double seal and thought the oil was enough. WRONG!

So this morning...I did the following and by golly it worked like magic!
1) Spritzed hair with water and conditioner mix
2) Applied olive oil to my hair from root to tip! Making sure to get to the tip where it was most dry.
3) Applied Shea Moisture Smoothie from root to tip.
4) Applied Shea Moisture Curl Soufflé from root to tip.

And instantly....my hair was happy again!

My hair has retained moisture all day and my scalp hasn't been itching. I'm almost ashamed. After all...this was my routine and the whole purpose was to keep my hair from being dry!! But I got relaxed in the routine and my hair got mad!

Moral of the story.....

LEARN YOUR HAIR, LISTEN TO YOUR HAIR! Your hair needs moisture. Withoit moisture it will dry and if it gets bone dry you are creating an atmosphere for BREAKAGE! Things run much smoother if you just listen!

I will definitely be buying my Shea butter this week to make our Shea butter mix and getting off my laziness! #shameonme

No comments:

Post a Comment