Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Your Child's Hair IS Manageable! JUST LEARN IT!

So many times before I learned how to care for our hair, I always said: "I just don't know what to do with it." Because of this, doing our baby's hair becomes a headache.

I DREADED doing her hair!!!!

And for 4 years I damaged my daughter's hair by ALWAYS flat ironing it after her washes. There was no regimen of specific time frame, nothing consistent. I would use Sulfur 8 shampoo for the tons and tons of dandruff she had instead of taking the time to learn WHY she had it. I used thick, heavy hair lotions that were filled with mineral oil, petroleum, and other harmful chemicals.

On top of that I always had two ponytails , constantly putting stress on her edges. I used rubber bands, constantly pulling on her hair and making it weak at those points.

See, I took care of it the way I took care of relaxed hair and through my ignorance, my daughter's edges were taken out, hair was burnt, and scalp was completely dried out! The dandruff was ridiculous!!!!!

AND THEN!!!!!!!!

I made the decision to return natural. And I learned how to actually take care of my child's hair. I had to realize I DID NOT KNOW how to take care of her curls and her textures. As mommies we must be humble enough to realize that!!!

NOW!!! She is dandruff free! Has been for 8 months now! Her edges are growing in INCREDIBLY! Her damaged ends are almost off. Her curls are popping in!!! And I can take my fingers and rake them straight through her hair.

Here a few things I changed:
1. I put her on a regimen. See my previous post for details.
2. I NEVER comb her hair. LOL funny huh...NO, I do not use a comb (unless its for parting) through her hair.
3. I do not BRUSH her hair...nope. An d I don't have to.
4. I finger detangle her hair during washing.
5. I wash her hair in sections of 4.
6. I do protective styles (flat twist, twists, buns, etc.) and I tell you her curls are soooooooooooo versatile! I have tried WAY MORE things with her hair than I EVER did in my ignorance of natural hair care.
7. Rubber bands? WHAT rubber bands?! Don't use those. If a style needs to be secured I use silicon ponytail holders and ONLY wrap around TWICE! Realize that natural hair is puffy and it will swell as it dries! LET IT!!!!
8. The first thing I look for now in a product is ingredients. See, most commercial products have chemicals in them that dry out natural hair- this irritations and dandruff. Not only that, most shampoos strip natural hair of its moisture (this leaves that "squeaky" clean feel that we think is right) and conditioners have too many products that BLOCK the hair shaft from receiving moisture. I will blog about these things later.
9. ALWAYS SLEEP WITH A SATIN BONNET!!!!!! You need a satin scarf, satin bonnet, or satin pillow to sleep with. Otherwise the cotton dries the hair out and can cause breakage.
10. We do not use TOWELS to dry our hair, but rather old white t-shirts. The towels are more abrasive!

The most amazing transition is that she is dandruff free and has edges! You will see from the pictures.

My advice--
1. Realize natural curls are delicate and can be managed successfully WITHOUT common practices that we are use to from being relaxed.
2. Let your girl's kinks and coils do what they wanna do!!!!
3. Learn about natural hair. There are different types and therefore every product and style won't work for your child's hair! LEARN HER HAIR!!!

#weROCkinksnCOILS
#teamNaturalMommies







No comments:

Post a Comment